All Pfeil tools come sharpened and honed, ready to use. The bevels are ground to an angle between 17 and 25° depending upon size and use of the tools. The tools can be resharpened using various sharpening machines. A grinder with water cooling is preferable to a dry grinder.
When resharpening, please remember:
* Depending on the wood to be worked, the bevel angle should be between 17° (softwood) and 25° (hardwood).
* During dry grinding, the bevel steel should not become discoloured to yellow, blue or grey, otherwise the temper will be lost.
* The discoloured material must then be completely ground away.
* For small tools, a sharpening stone with grit between 100-120 should be used. For large tools, a grit between 80-100 is appropriate.
* After sharpening the blade with an Arkansas stone produce fine, smooth cuts in the wood.